A dental crown is a dental procedure that involves the placement of a prosthetic covering around a tooth. It is used for many dental procedures such as dental implants, bridges, and cosmetic restoration. A dental crown can help to restore the appearance of a damaged tooth or protect a weakened one from further damage. If you’re unsure if you need dental crowns in Calgary, read on for an overview of when they might be necessary.
For many of us, the thought of needing a dental crown brings up images of intense drilling and expensive bills. But sometimes, getting a dental crown can be an important step towards dental health. This article will guide you through what dental crowns are, when you might need one, and how to get it done with your dentist in Calgary
When Are Dental Crowns Necessary?
When a dental crown is needed, it usually means that the tooth has been weakened by decay or damage and needs additional support. Here are some common signs that you might need dental crowns:
1. Cavities: If a cavity is too large to be filled with regular dental fillings, it may require a dental crown to help prevent further decay.
2. Chipped Teeth: If you have chipped or broken a tooth, dental crowns can be used to restore its shape and strength.
3. Weak Teeth: If your teeth are weak due to wear-and-tear or disease, dental crowns may be necessary to help protect them from further damage.
4. Dental Implants: If you are having dental implants placed, dental crowns may be necessary to cover the implant and match the shape of your other teeth.
5. Cosmetic Dentistry: If you are looking for a way to improve the appearance of your smile, dental crowns can be used to help reshape and restore your teeth.
6. Root Canals: If you have had a root canal, dental crowns may be necessary to protect the tooth and improve its appearance.
How to Get a Dental Crown
If you think you might need dental crowns in Calgary, the first step is to consult with your dentist. During the consultation, your dentist will assess your dental health and discuss what dental crowns can do for you.
Once it’s decided that dental crowns are necessary, the next step is to prepare the tooth for the procedure. This usually involves cleaning out any decay or filling any cavities. Your dentist will also take dental impressions of the tooth in order to create a dental crown that will fit perfectly.
Once the dental crown is ready, it can be placed during a subsequent dental appointment. During this procedure, your dentist will remove any remaining decay or old fillings and clean out the affected area. Then they will use dental cement to affix the dental crown in place.
Dental crowns are a great way to restore the appearance and strength of a damaged tooth. If you think you might need dental crowns in Calgary, you may speak with our Calgary dentist to discuss the best options for you. With proper dental care, dental crowns can last between five and fifteen years.
Q: How long do dental crowns last?
A: On average, dental crowns can last between five and fifteen years with proper dental care. However, this may vary depending on your dental health and the type of dental crown used.
Q: Are dental crowns painful?
A: Generally, dental crown procedures are not painful as you will be given local anesthesia to ensure your comfort. However, you may experience some slight discomfort after the procedure while your mouth adjusts to the dental crown.
Q: Are dental crowns expensive?
A: The cost of dental crowns can vary depending on the type and material used. However, dental insurance policies often cover dental crowns in whole or in part.